What does a prenatal visit consist of?
Here is a menu of some of the topics which could be covered at a prenatal visit. You get to pick and choose.
- Getting to know you. What are you proud of? What challenges have you faced and overcome?
- Your birth philosophy and Birth Wishes. What is your ideal birth? Developing a plan with flexibility built in.
- Partner’s chosen role during labor and birth.
- What to expect during labor and birth. What is helpful during early labor. How to encourage labor progress. Practice helpful labor sounds.
- Movement for labor and delivery. Learn and practice labor support techniques with your partner. Learn about rebozos and the wonders of rebozo sifting.
- Packing for your hospital stay. Or if you are planning a home-birth preparing for your first week at home with baby.
- Baby’s movement during labor and birth. How you can work together with your baby for a smooth labor.
- Emotions about labor and birth.
- Becoming a parent. This process begins before your baby’s birth. We can talk about your emotions, thoughts, and questions about parenthood.
- What if we have a cesarean birth? What parts of your birth wishes can still happen. Usually, LOTS!
- What type of support you imagine wanting from your doula during labor and birth. Don’t worry, I won’t get attached to these ideas.
- The magical hour. Skin to skin time and what happens during the first hour after birth.
- Nutrition and self care. How to be well fed, well rested, and calm leading up to birth.
- Planning for life with baby.
- Safe sleeping practices.
- Baby’s micro-biome.
- Plan for siblings during labor.
- Welcoming an additional child into your family. Imagining ways to help siblings adjust. Incorporating ritual into their “birth as siblings.
- Post-partum care. How to get enough rest once the baby is here. Your emotional landscape after birth. Information about local providers that specialize in helping with post-partum replenishment and rebuilding.
- Managing visitors after birth.
- Who’s in your village? Developing a resource web for post-partum support.